September 17, 2008

Seto no Hanayome

Seto no Hanayome
My Bride is a Mermaid!

Original Creator: Tahiko Kimura

Production by: Gonzo collaborated with AIC

Adapted from: a manga series
OAVs: one
Movies: none
Live-action: none

Genre: Comedy, drama, romance, action, supernatural.
Number of episodes: 26

ANN's Plot summary: "A young boy gets saved from drowning by a mermaid but, according to mermaid law, if a human sees a mermaid's true form, both have to be killed. The only solution to the problem is for him to marry her. But can they keep her secret from being found out."


My Ranking: 3 hoshi
My Rateing: PG-13
Sexual references mostly with some adult humor. mild language.

My Review: This series was first described to me as 'The Yelling Anime'. It was well put. This anime is crazy. Everything is over the top in this series but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Its this extreme nature that gives it most of its humor. The voice actors of SNH deserve mad props considering the major talent it takes to endure the kind of vocal strain it must take to make the characters' voices flux from yelling at the top of their lungs to going deep and evil then high and cute in the count of 30 seconds. The series was obviously well put together in that area of expertise.

In my little world there are two kinds of comedies: the kind that are really funny but still stick to the cool story and then the kind that are crazy funny but don't have much of a plot. The thing that threw me off about SNH was that it didn't fit into either. The way I see it is its like both kinds of anime slapped on top of each other; the craziness overriding for a while until the point where it gets a little tiresome and annoying but then the plot suddenly pops up to the surface in a totally awesome, well-balanced episode. Taking this into account the series is a bit bumpy in my perspective. The first six episodes were a tad annoying then went into three totally awesome eps then went up and down a little more until the totally sweet two ep finale. (I'm serious. the last two are win)

In my opinion they could've toned it down a little if not just spread the insanity a little more evenly. Looking back on this series I have the strangest picture in my head of a slice of bread with peanut butter and blobs of jelly in random places. Okay maybe that's a bad analogy, but I just see it as a way to get my point across. As for the awesomeness of this series with the crazy ear abuse aside, I'd say it was pretty cool. Don't let the pretty mermaids fool you, they're still part of the mafia. There's still gonna be some buttwuppen amongst all the screaming, and THAT is what I like. Not to mention a little romance in the mix. Now who can resist that?

Comparison: the SNH manga I don't know much about except I don't think its finished and it is not licensed along with the anime. An OAV was just scheduled for release this upcoming fall 2008 season. SNH was subbed by the group Ayako for eps 1-12 and 16. unfortunately they were not able to finish so the rest of the series was done by Your-Mom.

Sample Vid: ugh. why do I keep picking series that I can't find a good amv for. drat it and sorries.

No comments: