July 20, 2009

Kamichama Karin (anime review/comparison)

Kamichama Karin (anime)

Production: Satelight

Adapted from a manga: see here
sequal: coming soon
OAVs: none
Movies: none
Live-action: none

Genre: comedy, romance, magical girl/henshin, shojo(?)
Number of episodes: 26

ANNs Plot summary: "Karin Hanazono is an orphan, living with her relatives. Her life has never been easy, her studies are not well, she is not the best in sports and technically she is miserable. Left with only a ring as a memento from her departed mother, she suddenly finds her life changed, as she was mourning her pet cat, Shii-chan. On that she met a strange boy, Kazune Kujyou. After that event, she experiences several mysterious incidences that soon led her to find out that she is a little goddess. Finding others like her she soon sets out to understand herself better as her mysterious powers grow and she becomes beset by opponents."

My Ranking: 5 hoshi
My Rating: same as manga

My Review/Comparison: okay so the anime followes pretty accurately to the manga. On the contrary though the atmosphere is a little different. The anime plays up the comedy a lot more than the manga. Don't get me wrong. The manga is funny enough on its own. but the anime had me laughing so hard I was almost crying. The anime includes the bonus chapters from the special edition manga. I did not have the pleasure of reading these bonus chapters but I have the suspicion that there are even more bonus episodes. Filler eps if you would. For this reason I kinda see the anime as mostly fanservice. good fanservice but still.

One other thing is that I discovered that the manga is meant to be read first, the anime second, then the sequel. Unfortunately I had watched the anime first so I wasn't able to enjoy the manga with fresh perspective. The reason for this is because the anime begins in a part of Chu, the sequel, and then flashes back to the original series. Also there are two or three eps that have a merge effect where suzune, a character from chu appears and leads into an in between ep. So, the kamichama karn anime is a kind of bridge between the original and chu.

One other thing the anime does differently is that they change the end around a little. I guess you could say they soften it. Yuuki has no part in the main plot, there is no weird girl with a notebook, and karasuma is more stupid than evil. meh.

Anyway, the anime is good to watch if you've read and liked the manga. Its good for something extra and gets you ready for the sequel. Even though I liked it a lot before I read the manga, I still like it now that I have. It's all good.

Info: okay finding the subs for this anime was a pain in the ass. eps 1-17 were subbed by kedex. Unfortunately they completely stalled. Luckily a few months later a wonderful little group called sunflower was willing to pick it up out of impatience. They finished up eps 18-26. I personally thank these peeps because I think we all were getting pretty frustrated.
This series is not licensed in the U.S.

No comments: