July 19, 2009

Kamichama Karin

Kamichama Karin

Story and Art by: Koge Donbo
Published by: Kodansha

Adapted into an anime: yes
Movie: no
Lived-action: no
Sequal: one - Kamichama Karin Chu

Genre: comedy, romance, magical girl/henshin
Number of Tankoubon: 7

ANN's Plot summary: "Orphan Hanazono Karin is a below-average girl who just lost another person dear to her; her best friend and loyal cat, Shi-chan. While visiting Shi-chan's grave, she meets Kujyou Kazune, a smart prettyboy who insults her right
after meeting her. She runs away from him, hoping to never see his face again, but fate seems to have other ideas -- the girl she bumps into the very next day is none other than Himeka, Kazune's cousin. During her second meeting with Kazune, something strange happens to her ring, the last thing she has to remember her mother by. Afterwards, strange events happen all around her, with no explanation. The fourth meeting with Kazune explains quite a bit; her ring has the power to turn her into a goddess. With Himeka's support and Kazune's guidance, Karin begins her training to become one of the divine."

My Ranking: 5 hoshi.
My Rating: PG
there is nothing really objectionable about this series in the least. there is some rare mild swearing and a moment or two but again, very very mild.

My Review: Once again I am reviewing a series that literally has captured my heart. Not only is it beautiful in art style and content, but its laugh out loud funny. Its not another mahou shojo nor a dn angel. Its a really cute butterfly feel good series. Though the concept isn't quite original, the story is still a lot of fun. The one thing I really noticed about this series is that it doesn't spend a lot of time on the exposition. Its leaves you to contemplate for yourself as you read and doesn't explain anything until the climax at the end. In any series this can be good or bad. To do this correctly it has to give you enough so that you'll keep reading. Luckily, Kamichama has a lot of qualities that make it worth the read.

For one thing, its hilarious. Just when its about to get kinda mushy or teary (and believe me it does. in a good way) one of the characters pops in as a chibi and says something ridiculous. It also helps that Karin is a little reactive and Kazune just can't help pushing her buttons. And also who can't forget the Brit who needs a lesson in proper etiquette of other cultures. Its definitely
packed full of fun. It certainly made me laugh.

Above everything else though, this series is adorably beautiful. Okay so the romance factor might not seem very strong at first but it definitely adds to the series' appeal. Its incredibly cute and you just can't help but go "aww". (I know. I'm such a girl) The art style seemed kinda wispy to me at first but either my opinion of it improved or the artist did because by the end I was in love with it. It definitely gives that "divine" quality the series calls for.

So, all this being said, I can conclude that I did not waste my time with this series. I found it just by freak chance and ended up really really liking it. Its cute but not overbearingly so. Its a well balanced series and really enjoyable.

Comparison: having watched the anime I'm giving a separate comparison/review here.
This series is on onemanga.com and was scanned by Syuura. I give a personal shout out of thanks to these guys both for doing the entire series and for putting it back up.
This manga is licensed by TOKYOPOP.


No comments: